.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Garden Delights

A selection of thoughts and ramblings about life in the garden.

Monday, May 09, 2005

Tomatoes in Containers

I've decided to try something new this year. I'm going to grow my tomatoes and green pepper plants in containers on my deck.
Wish me luck.
'Cause I'm gonna need it.
You see, my veggie garden was way out back where I would always forget to water it.
Originally it flooded. And everything died.
Then I tried raised beds. They didn't flood and I was good about keeping them watered for a year.
But there was that horrible bug problem. I seem to attract copious amounts of bugs to my yard. The bean beetles ate all my beans. The squash bugs killed the squash. Corn bugs got into what few stalks of corn I had room for. And the cucumbers wilted.
I grew pumpkins. Once.
I grew gourds reasonably well. But they never got enough water for really thick shells. Even when I grew them next to the pool.
Carrots were a limited success. They were very deformed looking.
Now radishes and garlic I can grow. But I never use them.
I finally decided to give the raised bed up to the baby perennials, with the occasional tomato and pepper thrown in.
But I still can't remember to water them enough out back.
So now they sit, contained in pots, on the sunny deck.
The odds of this working aren't very good.
But I'll keep trying. Someday I'll get it right.
A true gardener never gives up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home