.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Garden Delights

A selection of thoughts and ramblings about life in the garden.

Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Cocoa Puffs in the Garden

Today I decided to try a new type of mulch.
New for me at least.
Cocoa shells.
I love it!
Never has mulch been so easy to put down. I didn't end up with little slivers stuck to me. There were no huge chunks to contend with either. Just nice little same size pieces. What a joy! The color is great too...a nice rich chocolate brown.
A friend introduced me to cocoa shell mulch. She liked it, so I thought I'd give it a whirl.
I'm not a big mulcher to begin with. And I'm not fond of most mulches.
They don't sell pine needles here.
Cypress doesn't add much in the line of nutrients to the soil, so about all it's got going for it is it takes a bit longer to break down.
Bark nuggets are just to big.
Colored mulch just looks to unnatural. And I noticed they have new designer colors this season. Red, gold, and black.
Yuck.
And I positively HATE rocks.
(Long story.)
If I haven't managed to shred my own mulch(I have a chipper-shredder), hardwood is my usual choice. It adds nutrients to the soil and looks natural. The plants seem to like it too.
Well, was my choice.
These cocoa shells are starting to grow on me.
And I won't mind the smell chocolate in the garden for a few days either.

1 Comments:

At 11:07 PM, Blogger Sue said...

Have you heard of using hazelnut or filbert shells? They use these in Oregon, especially on paths where they make for soft travel, dust-free. I wonder if they could also be used for mulch.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home